[ale] Anyone here use Zope?

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 13 19:34:16 EST 2002

Christopher Bergeron wrote:

> I've been hearing a lot about it lately, and I'm wondering if anyone 'round
> here has used/uses it.  It looks very promising for web development, but I'd
> like some opinions before I dive into it.
>
> Anyone use it?  Suggestions / comments?

I use it. I have one client that has actually paid
me to implement a smallish Zope app. I like it a lot.

Get the online version of "The Zope Book" from
<www.zope.org> (the one for Zope 2.5 - incidentally,
don't install Zope 2.5.0, use 2.5.1b1 or later) and
read it. It's pretty short, but pretty informative
too; will probably give you a good idea of whether Zope
is right for your application.

There's been quite a lot of discussion on the Zope
mailing list recently about the quality of Zope
docs. Many users feel they're not up to the standard
of other major OS products like mySQL or Qt. This
is probably true. Personally, I haven't had any
documentation-related problems with Zope, but I also
haven't had to do anything really unusual or tricky
yet. YMMV.

Cheers,

-- Joe
  Using open-source software: free.