[ale] Anyone here use Zope?

Ken Kennedy kkennedy at kenzoid.com
Wed Mar 13 21:11:09 EST 2002

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 08:37:32PM -0500, Christopher Bergeron wrote:
> I've been hearing a lot about it lately, and I'm wondering if anyone 'round
> here has used/uses it.  It looks very promising for web development, but I'd
> like some opinions before I dive into it.
>
> Anyone use it?  Suggestions / comments?
> -CB

Ha! I was talking about Zope to another ALE list member today...(you
know who you are, Mark...*grin*). Now, bear in mind, I don't do
professional development with it -- I believe some people on this list
do, though. But I have created sites with it, and I just last night
re-installed it on my web box.

First off...you like OO? Cause Zope is WAY OO. Like Python? I hope
so...Zope is written in it, and it exposes it's most powerful
functionality to Python scripters. (You can use Perl as well, but the
whole thing's written in Python anyway, and the majority of the
examples are written in it.)

It takes a while to grok the "way of Zope"...my suggestion is to read
all the stuff you can find. I'm still a fair newbie at Zope
development, and coming from a less-OO background (tcl/AOLserver
primarily, plus Perl CGI. I'm straight procedural by background), Zope
makes my head hurt sometimes. But I see the power. I sense it. Plus, I
freakin' LOVE Python for all other types of scripting, and leveraging
it in the web arena makes great sense to me.

Some links:

http://www.zope.org
http://www.zopenewbies.net/
http://www.zope.org/Members/mcdonc/HowTos/gainenlightenment (old, but
still good)
http://www.zopezen.org/

If you want to play w/o installing, I believe FreeZope is still giving
out (non-commercial) accounts...

http://www.freezope.org/

Good luck!

Ken Kennedy	| http://www.kenzoid.com	| kenzoid at io.com