[ale] Choke point (or when to bring on router)

Bob Kruger bkruger at mindspring.com
Tue Mar 12 17:29:07 EST 2002

Agreed on all of this.  That being said and done, are there some hard
numbers out there from folks who are running high capacity Linux routers
based on Intel platforms who can tell me just what their throughput is?

This is for a project on a government site.  Most folks want to go with
Cisco.  I am a taxpayer and grouse every time I see overspending because
someone wants to play it safe, e.g. the old "No one ever got fired for
buying IBM." routine.  But, I need some numbers to tell what a Linux
based system can handle as far as throughput.

If any of you know of a site where there are examples or of anyone who
has done this and can give me some hard numbers that I can use as part
of a justification, I would be MOST appreciative (and so will you
taxpayers out there... ;-)).

Bob Kruger