[ale] Ginstar PC's

David S. Jackson deepbsd at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 12 10:56:08 EST 2002

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 01:20:35PM -0500 Vernard Martin <vernard at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-03-11 at 10:49, Chris Fowler wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I ususally purchase Ginstar PC's for Windows use.  I now need one for Linux and know that many people here regulary buy from them.
> > I ususally oder the economy PCs that have everything on the mother board.  Including ethernet.   Does these PC's work well
> > with Linux?
> >

> I've had some experience with this. Ginstar uses lots of the PC Chips
> all-in-one motherboards for their economy PCs. These motherboards work
> quite well with linux except for the built in modem. The same goes for
> the Amptron line of all-in-one motherboards whhich are just rebranded PC
> Chips boards.
>
> hope this helps.

I've had problems with one of the boards I got from them.  It was
a while back and the board name was something like DSI or some
such.  I guess I've blocked the name out of my mind.  But there
were lots of patches from the manufacturers website.  Even then,
the atapi interface was spotty.  Never has worked quite right.
As long as I use a fully compliant CD I'm okay, but even windows
would not work right with it where the CD was concerned.  The
manufacturer is known to be pretty iffy when it comes to mobos.
Can anyone think of a mobo mfr whose name is three letters and
starts with "D"?

David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net