[ale] zlib security problem

Ken Kennedy kkennedy at kenzoid.com
Mon Mar 11 20:59:59 EST 2002

On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 04:42:01PM -0500, jenn at colormaria.com wrote:

> >From what I understand it's a linux-specific zlib problem (zlib runs on may
> os's but free() is fubar'd on linux.  i don't know what any of that means, I
> just repeat it).  So it would affect all linux distros, from what I
> understand, not just RH.

Correct. There's even a place in the kernel code that's affected,
according to the RH release. Once you've updated your zlib, apps that
dynamically link to that library will be ok (after a
restart). Unfortunately, there are numerous apps running around
statically linked to a vulerable version of zlib. They'll have to be
replaced/rebuilt as well.

> Has anyone heard of any non-RPM's that patch this yet??  AFAIK, it hasn't
> even hit bugtraq yet, which I find odd.

Non-RPM's? You mean non-RPM-based distributions? Well, Debian has
already released a patch...

Ken Kennedy	| http://www.kenzoid.com	| kenzoid at io.com

 PGP signature