[ale] zlib security problem (question)

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Mar 11 19:21:04 EST 2002

This is not a major hole for servers that send out compressed data. It
is a disaster hole for workstations. Unless your servers are receiving
data as well as sending, this is not a major problem for you then. It
would still be prudent to upgrade the affected zlib and other statically
compiled binaries. There are a bunch of things that are compiled against
the broken zlib that I am concerned about. Openssh is also compiled
against zlib so server control is affected.

 rpm -ql zlib
/usr/lib/libz.so.1

rpm -qlR openssh
rpmlib(VersionedDependencies) <= 3.0.3-1
openssl >= 0.9.5a
openssl = 0.9.6b
openssl >= 0.9.5a
rpm >= 3.0.5