[ale] Linux Showcase Discussion

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Mar 11 16:26:02 EST 2002

Bravo!! Puttin' the "Atlanta" back in ALS!!

As I don't know where I'll be beginning July, I can only offer moral
support at the moment.

The panel discussions are always spectacles. However, putting Miguel and
RMS up to battle out the merits, or lack, of .NET might be FUD-fodder
for nay-sayers and ill-wishers. Instead, a panel discussion of how to
proceed to take over the desktops of corporate America would be both
useful and a spectacle. It appears at the moment that the server-space
can accomplish parity with all other servers environments in 3-5 years
just on the existing momentum alone (barring some unforeseen calamity,
of course). What other process but a completely open forum to discuss
the strategies and steps to take to put Linux on 50% of all corporate
desktops could there possibly be?! Plus, it would not involve provoking
as much antagonism as .NET would between Miguel and RMS. As both are on
the Gnome board, it might be prudent to see about getting a prominent
KDE developer as K is a very strong desktop environment and also meets
the open source requirements.

Also, at the Piedmont Arts Festival, there used to be the "locals" strip
that had a lower booth fee. It was not as desirable a space as the other
booths, but the local upstarts could afford to setup. Many of the other
booths traveled an art show circuit. A local business corner, or strip
might be a good place for the one-person consulting shops (like myself:)
to showcase what they do with Linux. Also that local interest makes for
good media stuff on a soft news day. RedHat, Sun and IBM in Linux are
old hat for the news media. But show some local business that use this
stuff and that's interesting!