[ale] Linux Showcase Discussion

Benjamin Scherrey scherrey at innoverse.com
Mon Mar 11 15:21:01 EST 2002

FWIW - I thought you guys did a great job with the Atlanta Linux Showcase and I was personally
disappointed with USENIX' aquisition of the show. I think your idea about a smaller show held here in Atlanta
is a great idea (although I doubt I could be less interested in a .NET discussion panel but to each his own...).

As far as venues are concerned, the size you describe isn't too far off from what the Libertarian Party of
Georgia does for its annual convention (which will be held this weekend btw -
http://www.ga.lp.org/convention2002.html ). We've held it at a Sheraton Hotel near Perimeter Mall the last
two years and this year its going to be at the Westin Atlanta Airport Hotel. The Westin gave us a really good
rate because the airport hotels are hurting quite bad. You might be able to get a similar discount, especially if
you can guarantee more rooms.

	best regards,

		Ben Scherrey

3/12/2002 2:42:39 PM, Vernard Martin <vernard at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:

>As many of your know, the Atlanta Linux Showcase evolved into the Annual Linux
>showcase with the additional help of USENIX. However, due to many factors, not
>the least of which is an extremely depressed economy in the Technolog Sector,
>last year's ALS in Oakland left much to be desired.  Due to other
>economic tightening, we are currently changing our plans for the next ALS.
>Basically, the previous show always primes the pump for the next show
>financially. However, since last year's show was free, there was no profits
>and therefore no monies for priming the pump. This makes it necessary to
>change the way we do things.
>
>What follows is a tentative design for ALS 2002. It is not set in stone. We
>are looking for feedback from the local Atlanta linux community before we make
>any firm decisions and get the ball rolling.  Please take the time to read
>this carefull and respond. I believe that this is very relevant to the local
>community so discussion on list isn't a bad thing either as long as we try to
>keep it on topic and don't let it linger on for weeks on end :)
>
>Vernard
>Chairman, ALS Showcase Committee
<snipped>