[ale] Microsoft spam???

Steven A. DuChene linux-clusters at mindspring.com
Sun Mar 10 18:29:53 EST 2002

I have received twice now a message titled:

Internet Security Update

from

"Microsoft Corporation Security Center" <rdquest12 at microsoft.com>

Each time it is addressed to

"Microsoft Customer" <'customer at yourdomain.com'>

each time I look at the received headers to see where it is coming from
and see lots of strange places it has been. None of them are Microsoft.
I have the spaminator from mindspring/earthlink turned on for my account
but even though this meets all my criteria as spam (something I don't
want and it isn't addressed to me) earthlink's spaminator misses it each
time. Does anyone know anything about tuning the spaminator to catch this
sort of thing?

BTW, each time it included an attached file q216309.exe

Since I don't have any MS operating systems installed here I can't be foolish
enough to open this up where it will tell me anything. Anyone here of this
before? Is this an exercise in sovial engineering to get people to apply some
"patch" that will do something malisious to their systems?
Steven A. DuChene      linux-clusters at mindspring.com
                      sduchene at mindspring.com

        http://www.mindspring.com/~sduchene/