[ale] C on Linux

Master Wizard mainwizard at vei.net
Sat Mar 9 10:29:55 EST 2002

I am ready to start learning more about Linux and want to get into C on
Linux. I have several books on C and C++, but they gloss over any
platform specifics. I have a passing familiarity with vi and have looked
at emacs. I have also looked at some X based IDE's.

I would like to stay away from X as many of my systems are built on
older (486 and P1) hardware and X does not run well. I think emacs might
be the best choice, but I need to find some help with setting up and
using it for programming with C. Things like compiling, linking and
testing from emacs. Syntax highlighting, command completaion or anything
else it supports.

Any good books, websites or other resources for this type of information?

I have programmed with basic, C, Pascal and perl before and currently do
Java professionally. I am looking to expand my skills and need help with
the environment specifically, not programming in general.

Thanks,
Ed.