[ale] USB device stops working

Keith Hopkins hne at hopnet.net
Sat Mar 9 00:01:20 EST 2002

David Corbin wrote:
> all my stuff is built-in until the kernel... but, I did see this in the
> dmesg output
> -----
> Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
> usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
> USB Mass Storage support registered.
> <snip>
> hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1, assigned device number 2
> usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
> usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
> usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x547/0x2131) is not claimed by any
> active driver.
> ----
>
> So, what's the next step?

Two things you can try.

   1) See what is under /proc/bus/usb.  "cat" those items, if any.  Post any output that look relevant.

   2) Insert a CF card and check the dmesg output again to see if it recognized it.  As root, enter "fdisk -l" and see if it shows up there.  If it does, try mounting it.

Lost in Tokyo,
   Keith