[ale] Dumb,dumber, and me.

Joe Steele joe at madewell.com
Fri Mar 8 14:45:38 EST 2002

Are you using something like the following in your access db?

hotmail.com  REJECT
mojoe at hotmail.com OK

If so, then I think your problem is this:

The first test that occurs when a connection is established is
check_relay, which looks up the IP-address/domain-name of the remote
server in the access db.  If the lookup finds something other than OK
or RELAY, an error is reported and the connection is terminated.  In
your case, the remote server domain name is matching the
hotmail.com/REJECT entry.

You might try the following entries instead:

From:hotmail.com    REJECT
From:mojoe at hotmail.com  OK

Now the check_relay test would pass because it only searches the db
for lines beginning with the 'Connect:' tag or for lines with no tag
at all.  After this test is passed, the remote server would transmit
the envelope sender's address (MAIL FROM:) and the check_mail test
would run.  This test looks for db entries beginning with the
'From:' tag or for entries with no tag at all and matches them
against the envelope sender address.  If the sender was
mojoe at hotmail.com, the test would pass, but any other sender at
hotmail.com would be rejected.

--Joe