[ale] MySQL question on indexes

Gary S MacKay gary at edisoninfo.com
Tue Mar 5 08:09:53 EST 2002

Exactly my problem. I'm converting an old DOS Foxpro app with standard
dbase tables to a Windows app using MySQL as the backend. Foxpro allows
using functions in an index, ie "index on upper(lastname) tag lastname".
I've already written a routine in Foxpro to create the tables in MySQL and
copy the data across. Works fine. The last step is getting the indexes
across, and as long as the index is simply the field name, it works fine.
Where I run into problems are the indexes that use functions like
'uppercase', or 'lowercase', etc. etc. as part of the index expression.

- Gary

At 07:59 AM 3/5/2002 -0500, Jim Philips wrote:
>I don't understand. Do you want to index a table in the database? What
>kind of function is this? Neither is a listed function for PHP.
>

>On Mon, 2002-03-04 at 23:07, Gary MacKay wrote:
> > Is it possible to create an index using a function, like upper() or
> > ucase() or whatever?
> >
> > - Gary
> >
> > ---
> should be
> > sent to listmaster at ale dot org.
> >

>---
>This message has been sent through the ALE general discussion list.
>sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

Edison Information Technologies                 www.EdisonInfo.com
P.O. Box 554                                    Gary at EdisonInfo.com
Milan, OH 44846-0554                               419.499.7040