[ale] Samba lessons learned the hard way

Josh Freeman josh.freeman at arch.gatech.edu
Mon Mar 4 11:07:00 EST 2002

This may be common knowledge, but I haven't seen it documented yet, and
managed to figure it out only after hours of pounding my head against
the server rack. . .. .

If you decide to run samba as a PDC, make a backup of the file
/usr/local/samba/private/MACHINE.SID.  This file is needed if you ever
have to rebuild your machine and/or move your domain to a new server.
Without it, you will have to recreate all your machine accounts.

Just passing that along.
--
Josh Freeman
Technical Manager