[ale] Port printing and saving the output as a file

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Sun Mar 3 01:35:40 EST 2002

beach wrote:

>I'm not sure if it does print via LPR..  I know that I can configure a HP
>LaserJet 4050N that is IP based and it prints fine.

I'd take that as a sure sign that the mainframe is doing LPR or
facsimile thereof.

>In the printer setup on
>the mainframe, I list the IP and the port of the printer (which is always
>9100 it seems).

I've never dug very deep into the workings of lpr, but the IANA list has
port 9100 as unassigned.  Maybe all that happens is that a printer
"stream" gets blasted over without any real interpretation at that layer
(i.e., not counting the interpreting of PS)