[ale] OT: IM talk port

Ken Kennedy kkennedy at kenzoid.com
Sat Mar 2 13:40:00 EST 2002

On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 01:22:18PM -0500, Chris Fowler wrote:
> 5980 I believe.  But in IM you connect up to AOL.  I do not believe it is a
> direct conenction unless you specify it.  In rare
> cases you need a direct connection.  If you can connect to AOL with AIM and
> she can too, then there should be no problems with it.

AIM can use multiple different ports...5190 (IIRC) is another valid
one.

Another option for you (especially since you're on the ALE list!
*grin*) is to use an Linux (or any OS, I suppose) AIM client that uses
the TOC protocol instead of the OSCAR protocol. TOC servers listen on
ALL ports, including 80, 8000, etc., so you can set your client
software to use a port that will go through.  A valid TOC server (I
just logged on with it!) is toc.oscar.aol.com.

I use TIK on my GNU/Linux box to connect via the TOC
protocol. (http://tik.sourceforge.net/). It's also a Debian package,
if you use that dist. There may well be other clients that use the
protocol, I don't know.

Works great for me, and avoids the PITA open the firewall port
issues...

Ken Kennedy	| http://www.kenzoid.com	| kenzoid at io.com