[ale] followup: bellsouth.net adsl setup

Ian Kennedy ikennedy at woa.com
Sat Mar 2 12:09:03 EST 2002

Thanks for such a quick response. Here is what I've discovered so far:

I can ping my ethernet card at 10.0.0.10, I am using DHCP, I'm not sure the IP address of my modem, but it seems to be operating fine (see below).

The output I get from adsl-start is this:

pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0
using interface ppp0
(this one is from pppoe) connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/0
ppp session is 1374
remote message: CHAP authentication success, unit 955
not replacing existing default route to eth0 [0.0.0.0]
local IP address 67.34.134.167
remote IP address 67.34.134.1
primary DNS address 205.152.37.254
secondary DNS address 205.152.0.5

I can ping my local and remote IP addresses fine, but when I ping my DNS servers, I get this message: "From 10.0.0.10: Destination Host Unreachable"... this is where my problem is, isn't it? It shouldn't be trying to ping from 10.0.0.10?

John, I will see if I can get a static IP today and put it in my resolv.conf file.

Thanks again,
Ian