[ale] OT: Sun Treasoning

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Fri Jun 28 09:09:36 EDT 2002

Did anyone happen to catch the Slashdot interview with the semi-famous Linux
kernel hacker Moshe Bar? One of the questions that came up was why, in
spite of having a Ph. D. in computer science and notoriety in the open-
source world, he was pursuing a law degree. His response was, basically,
that he feared a point where several years from now he would get laid off
and be unable to find another suitable job in technology. The same person
asked him if he was going for a technology-related legal specialty, and he
responded that was actually going to pursue mergers/acquisitions, which he
said required more social networking than book smarts.

I guess the point I'm making is that in a recession, there wind up being a
LOT of great people on the bench. Our country's future in technology could
very well depend on whether or not and just how quickly these people can
forgive the general economic climate that seems to continually discriminate
against them in the name of the bottom line. In other words, are we going
to see loads of people exiting technical jobs for more people-oriented
positions, a la Moshe Bar? Or are these folks in it for the long-haul? One
thing is certain: the market will eventually bounce back. Perhaps not to
the dot-com bubble high, but it will be back.

Just my one share of Worldcom stock's worth ...