[ale] Difficult apache question :-)

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Jun 27 18:54:38 EDT 2002

For the last several days there have been network connection gremlins
running around in Mindspring/Earthlink space. I was unable to connect
from my EL-provided connection to another EL-connection , BUT I could
could connect to it from a location outside of Earthlink space.

Traceroutes would die off mysteriously from my box to the remote box. If
I ssh'ed into the remote box by way of an outside box (at GSU), I could
login OK, But a traceroute from the remote machine to my box would die
at the first upstream router address.

Over two hours of phone support and a dozen emails back and forth to
tech support and they would only claim it "is not a problem" since their
traceroute worked OK, or "the network safeguards block traceroutes and
pings for security reasons". When I asked about blocking port 80 access
I was met with silence.

I can now connect to the remote machine. It is now on a 66.32.x.x
address. It was on a 66.149.x.x address. Since you are having the same
apparent problem as I was, I strongly suspect a badly mis-configured
router is the culprit.

I suspect they are trying to block CodeRed but are doing a feeble job at
the moment.

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>