[ale] Palladium/MS: ideas for retaliation

Charles Marcus CharlesM at Media-Brokers.com
Wed Jun 26 14:22:56 EDT 2002

<snip>

> Okay, fine.  One of the strengths of having Linux server
> environments is the power of accommodation.  I would say,
> support Windows and Linux clients as equally as is
> practical, and let other practical considerations guide
> the supplanting of Windows clients.

I agree.  Samba, plus some Win4Lin/Tarantella servers (how many depends on how
many Windows sessions are needed) for any missions-crirical apps that cannot
be immediately ported to a Linux equivalent would be necessary at least for a
while.  But most schools would already have plenty of Win9x licenses laying
around that could be used with the Win4Lin/Tarantella servers, that this
solution would be relatively inexpensive indeed.

> FWIW, I have gotten an LTSP client/server rig to work
> and I know from having done that that even though LTSP
> represents a huge amount of work on the part of its
> creators, it takes a lot of additional work to make it truly
> deployable), and make it do something useful by way of a
> demonstration.

I must respectfully disagree.

I did it myself, with almost *no* Linux experience - although the first time I
did have some paid help.

I haven't done a fresh installation in quite a while, but its only gotten
easier, not harder.

I would say that any competent Linux Admin could get a LTSP Server up and
ready to go in a few hours.

What I have trouble doing is stuff that requires programming (I'm a GUI
oriented NT Admin wanna-be trying desperately to become a mediocre Linux guy).

As well, the guys at www.k12ltsp.org have put together an install CD image
that anyone can d/l and burn, that gets you up and running in *minutes*,
complete with a ton of school opriented programs.

Charles