[ale] Palladium/MS: ideas for retaliation

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Jun 26 12:41:41 EDT 2002

Charles Marcus wrote:
> [...]

I would challenge to provide replacements for the existing software
then.  They use everything from typing software, games, and of course,
Microsoft Office.  They will opt to continue with a windows based
desktop rather then endure the pain and suffering of learning a new
environment as well as doing without the replacement software.  Sure
there's Wine and it's relatives, but short of them not having the funds
to continue the M$ license, they'll not go elsewhere.  I'd love to be
proven wrong.  The bottom line is there's not only the investment in
software to consider, but the training issues for the educators.  Most
classroom teachers are not very computer savy as it is.  Throw a whole
new environment at them, and, well I think you get the picture.

>>Now, if we're talking servers, yeah, we know that can be
>>done, so I'm game.  Question is, where to start?  Who do we
>>talk to?
>>

> Servers are always the obvious place to start - and the really neat thing
> about LTSP is you can install it on any server you set up, and then just setup
> a few 'demo' workstations, running all of the K12LTSP school oriented
> software, and let them know that the only cost of setting up a lab or class is
> some minimal upfront configuration costs.

'cuse my ignorance, where and what is LTSP??
Okay, I'm intrigued, where can I locate the L12LTSP oriented software?

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net