[ale] OT: Nested sql statements

Kevin O'Neill Stoll kevinostoll at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 24 17:50:13 EDT 2002

Hey all,

I'm building an XML resultset in a JavaBean which I then send to a JSP
which transforms the result into html. I have a grouping issue
that I'm not sure how to tackle the 'best' way.

The output looks something like this:
An Assignment, which has many codes
   A code, which has many deliverables
      deliverables, which there are many of

So far I have two ideas but I'm not really happy with either. The
first is to have a nested resultset in the JavaBean that would produce the
proper grouping in the XML document. The second is to do some conditional
processing in the XSL stylesheet to get the grouping to come out right.

I don't like the nested resultsets because it just seems ugly. I really
don't like the stylesheet idea because it seems really ugly. Great
reasons, huh? :p

Anywho, I would appreciate some ideas and pointers as to how I could
accomplish this with a clean and efficient solutions.

TIA,

=====
Kevin Stoll
http://kevinstoll.org