[ale] Bash shell text ALE-NW

aaron aaron at pd.org
Fri Jun 21 18:14:42 EDT 2002

<dhurst at kennesaw.edu> wrote:
> > Hopefully in the future we can reapproach this topic in an advanced
> > talk as David hardly got to start on the real meat of what he had
> > prepared.
>
> Whew.  When I asked, "Does anyone know what command.com is?" and I got
> a blank look from about 15 people, I felt like saying, "Okay, all you
> folks who don't know what command.com is, for crying out loud, I hope
> you brought a gameboy, because you're about to feel very lost."

Not to labor the issue too much, but I think your choice of assessment
question may have been part of the problem.

I've regularly used the command line interfaces and shells on a number of
platforms for over 15 years, but I still had no idea what "COMMAND.COM"
was before I Googled out the answer just now. Even for those of us that
have occassionally been forced to endure the torture of Micro$haft's
command line, using a DOS PROMPT doesn't necessarily require knowing that
"COMMAND.COM" is the cause of your pain. :-)

The point is that *some* of the 15 blank faces may have had a bit more
going on behind them than the response to that question suggested.

peace
aaron