[ale] hard drive won't mount

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Jun 20 12:48:01 EDT 2002

That is a bad drive error. The reason that it worked OK under the other,
older systems was the IDE interface was not as fast as it is now. The
current IDE drivers expect the hardware to perform as it is rated. CRC
errors are indicative of a hardware problem. The data did not get
written to drive properly. Throw out the drive.

There was a drive (manufacturer escapes me) that _disabled_ the CRC in
order to get faster writes. Thet drive required special drivers for
windows and constantly failed in all Linux boxes until the "feature" was
discovered and disabled.

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>