[ale] microcenter goodies

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Mon Jun 17 19:42:04 EDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-06-17 at 18:37, Geoffrey wrote:
> Thought I'd let folks know, I picked up a 5 port 10/100 switch at
> microcenter yesterday.  Hooked that puppy up and wow, are things moving
> better.  I replaced a hub.  This thing really smokes.  It was 19.99.
> I've never heard of the company, but it's got a 3 year warranty.  5-port
> n-way switch (etherengine 500-s) by gigafast.
>
> Quite the deal I think.

Oh, yeaaaah...if you've been using a 10base-T hub and you've been
depending on it for more than just Internet access or calling up small
files from a file server, then, yeah, it makes a BIG difference to bring
in a 10/100 switch.  I'm routinely pushing around multi-hundred-meg
files and if all I had were a 10base-T hub, I'd be dyin', just sitting
there watching that collision light...

I've got two switches here at home that are linked with a 100' crossover
cable and the two machines we sit at the most as well as the cable-modem
firewall are on the upstairs switch and the file server, the machine
that I use for high-quality audio capture, and the other machines that I
muck about with go on the downstairs switch.  This does make
switch-to-switch latency an issue, so if I had a second 100' cable, I'd
move the firewall and cable modem downstairs and have two long cables
going to each of the upstairs machines, but right now, only have the one
cable, so I'm living with it.

My former employer seemed to have an aversion to proper Ethernet
concentration; they would only buy 24- or 32-port switches from CDW and
cascade them as needed, which really turned to crap when another guy and
I tried to set up his IBM RS/6000 with 10GB of Linux/NFS RAID space.

- Jeff