[ale] Formatting Win2k partiton using Linux

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Jun 11 11:24:12 EDT 2002

Since you plan on trashing the contents anyway of the win2k partition,
just format it with the "mke2fs -j /dev/hda1" command. This will
reformat the partition as ext3 (journaled ext2).

You can get fancy and do things like :
determine the block count and size and overwrite each block with a
character (0, ascii 256, random strings, etc). But just a format should
do it OK.

Unless the drive is actually damage.

Then a linux fdisk may solve the problem. Delete the partition and then
recreate it with the exact same parameters. Then format as above.

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>