[ale] Permissions Q

John Mills jmmills at telocity.com
Thu Jun 13 13:24:58 EDT 2002

Michael -

On 13 Jun 2002, Michael Hirsch wrote:

Thanks for filling in my missing link. Once again, an ALEr comes up with
the key that a specialized mailing list couldn't find.

> On Thu, 2002-06-13 at 10:47, John Mills wrote:

> >  I created a user 'cvsmgr' who belongs to 'cvsusers' and who owns
> > $CVSROOT, its children, and its contents.
> >  I put all developers in $CVSROOT/CVSROOT/passwd, with their choice of
> > trivial or null passwords, and all with the CVS user-identity of 'cvsmgr';
> > and one read-only user, 'buildusr', with null password and no other
> > identity.

> >  I created a group 'cvsusers' and added all developers, 'cvsmgr', and
> > 'buildusr' to that group.

> There is two more steps.  execute 'chgrp -R cvsusers $CVROOT' so that
> all files and dirs are owned by the cvsusers group.  Also, execute
> 'chmod g+s $CVSROOT'.  If $CVSROOT already has subidrectories, run
> 'chmod g+s' on all those subdirs.

Since I have only one group of users, I'll just go above the repository
root and do:

# chmod g+s `find <repository_root> -type d -print`

and hit all the subs at one go.

 - John Mills