[ale] Unix Cert

Greg runman at telocity.com
Mon Jun 17 16:51:14 EDT 2002

<SPAN
class=315264320-17062002>    Hello, Thomas:
<SPAN
class=315264320-17062002>
<SPAN
class=315264320-17062002>    I have just finished my last course
and am ready to take it's final (to-nite) and the course final in a few
weeks.  As for the job market, well, it is bad .... real bad ... and
someone w/ no experience would have to work hard, as I am guessing you would be
competing against experienced Sys Admins who are desperate for a job (see the
archives on this list).  Of course, you could work for lower than
slave wages to get your foot in the door (if you could find
such a position).
<SPAN
class=315264320-17062002>
<SPAN
class=315264320-17062002>    However, it is a good start, but you
really need to get a *nix system and practice on a daily basis the stuff, as the
courses don't cover everything (but that's just due to the massive amount of
stuff that is out there).  The courses are good and the teachers are
also,as well as the director, Matthew Shaul.  If you can get a co. to pay,
then I would, as they are not cheap.
<SPAN
class=315264320-17062002>
<SPAN
class=315264320-17062002>    Good Luck,
<SPAN
class=315264320-17062002>
<SPAN
class=315264320-17062002>    Greg Canter
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr
style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Dow Hurst
  [mailto:dhurst at kennesaw.edu]Sent: Monday, June 17, 2002 2:28
  PMTo: tom hawks; ale at ale.orgSubject: Re: [ale] Unix
  CertI know from Thomas Akin who is involved that it is a
  good program.  The courses are not trivial and are oriented toward hands
  on experience.  KSU has a pretty good track record of helping students
  find positions thru the Career center.  I have wanted to take the Unix
  cert for a long time but just haven't made time.DowPS.  I
  work in the Chemistry dept. at KSU on research and act as the IRIX sysadmin.
  :-) tom hawks wrote:

    Does anyone know anything about the Unix Cert
    program at KSU and could someone with no experience get a job upon
    completion?