[ale] Fwd: Re: [ale] Recommendations on mirrored LVM..?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Jun 15 13:26:09 EDT 2002

I think from a logical (no pun intended) standpoint, LVM on the raw
disks and raid on top makes more sense to me. LVM constructs a virtual
partition which raidtools then uses for drive space.

Mirrors can be worked "on the fly" but with degraded performance in some
forms. If a mirror is broken, stuff added or changed on one partition,
then the mirror is reassembled, performance will be lower while the
mirror re-syncs.

In your example setup you asked if you can add a second LV to an
existing raid configuration. No. That would be a new raid configuration.
Can you extend/grow an existing raid configuration by adding more space
to the LV's that comprise the raid volumes? Yes. This is what LVM is
good for. Break the mirror, resize the md's, reform the mirror, allow
time for re-sync (should be short if no changes occurred).

Now for the $40,000 question. Can all this be done on a live production
system with data being written to and read from mirrored drives? I don't
know yet. From the reading I've done, it appears that it is possible. I
am not currently running LVM on my systems. I have been watching the
enterprise development and the ability to do this on the fly has always
been a goal. Extending a logical volume is probably OK live. Shrinking
is probably not. That requires an fsck which requires an unmounted
partition.

Hard stuff.

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>