[ale] Recommendations on mirrored LVM..?

Eric Webb ttlchaos at randomc.com
Thu Jun 13 19:15:50 EDT 2002

Hi all,

I'm working towards putting together a large, cheap disk repository with a
little redundancy.  The goal here isn't performance, but more of creating a
big chunk'o'disk that is somewhat protected.

I'm interested in running the LVM code based on experience with it under AIX.
 A few questions come up though:

1.  ext3 or reiserfs?

2.  How do I mirror the dang thing?  AIX supports lvcopies, which is what I'd
like to do, but I don't believe the Linux LVM does.  The only idea I can come
up with is to use the raidtools to create a mirrored device, and then feed
that device to the LVM code.  Will that work?  Will it work WELL?  Doesn't
sound as flexible to me.

3.  Please don't suggest hardware (yet).  I'm planning on a 3ware card down
the road, but I just can't afford it now.

Forgive me if I'm describing something wrong here -- I'm well aware of the
principles of what I want to do, I'm just not familiar with the Linux
implementation of those principles yet ;)

-E.