[ale] openssl related software question

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Jul 30 22:37:02 EDT 2002

Hey Jenn (et al.),

Be aware that I just did an ldd on MY redhat 7.3 box that is current up
to yesterday. My libcrypto was packaged in openssl (rpm -q
--whatprovides libcrypto returned openssl-0.9.6b-18 (I smell an upgrade
here, too)).

I almost agree on the M$ism statement. However, changing libs is a
non-trivial process. A mismatched lib call can crash a box. A controlled
reboot is most often very safe. Slow, but safe.

I'm not a wiz on everything RedHat has linked/compiled/mangled on their
stuff. Most times I keep my basic systems as close to
RH-shipping-with-updates as possible. With a few exceptions their QC is
pretty good. Besides, I can slow my box down just by running Nautilus
(it is getting better).  So if your openssh was a custom compile into
/usr/local, you might need to do some more digging and see what other
crypto RH installed for you. Prior to the 7.x series, crypto was not
generally installed off a RH installation CD.