[ale] OT - Entry Level Job Opening

Alan Bowman aminus at mindspring.com
Tue Jul 30 22:00:22 EDT 2002

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Charles Marcus wrote:

>Actually, shops like this are perfect candidates for an LTSP network.  Uses
>plain, vanilla PCs as clients, and centralized Server based management is a
>snap.  The users are usually thrilled that they can get away form those ugly
>old green terminals, *and* you can also provide them with X-applications
>like OpenOffice, Mozilla, etc for writing letters, browsing the web and
>doing email.
  This is something that we've tried to pursue, especially since Caldera
purchased SCO several years ago.  Part of the problem we face is that
the actual practice management application itself is written in COBOL
(remember, this software was developed in the early 1980's), and except
for the IBCS module, I haven't found a way to run that application on
Linux. However, it would seem that AcuCobol has a compiler for Linux,
which might open up a new avenue for us to work with.  All of us in the
Unix support group are Linux/*BSD/OpenSource advocates, and would love
it if the company would allow us to take the legacy app that we support,
and give it a new life with Linux. Using something like the LTSP would
be just the thing we'd need to offer our clients all the features of the
Windows based products, but at half the price and twice the stability.

> From: Adrin [mailto:haswes at mindspring.com]
>> I beat a soda they are trying to convert the clients over to
>> M$ also.
 Unfortunatly, that's a bet you'd win. The company's stated long term
strategy is to have all our clients run the Windows based version of the
software. The product I support is not the "go forward" product.
However, it's not going away anytime soon. The Unix product still has
the largest user base in our division, and is responsible for the most
revenue. We also have some offices that will have a difficult time going
from Unix to Windows, as they routinely have 4 or 5 physically seperate
locations running at once, with anywhere from 40 to 100 users logged in
simultaneously to one central Unix server.

...alan

 --
Unhappy the land that needs heroes.
                -- Bertolt Brecht