[ale] openssl related software question

jenn at colormaria.com jenn at colormaria.com
Tue Jul 30 19:50:43 EDT 2002

With the openssl vuln disclosed today, I noticed that very few vendors were
talking about all the other software that is potentially affected, and I'm
 really notat all knowledgable about dynamically linked stuff.

I run openssh and apache + mod_ssl on some of my servers, and I don't
compile them with anything specific to tell them where ssl lives.  Are they
dynamically linked by default? How do I tell?  ldd /usr/local/bin/ssh doesn't
show me anything about libssl.

What I'm getting at here is, do I need to recompile everything that uses
openssl?  If not, how do I tell whether it's using the newer version or not?

Sorry if this is common knowledge or a stuipd question, I just don't see it
mentioned anywhere in the bugtraq posts...and RedHat recommends that you
restart your server after applying the patch!!!!!  Since when do you reboot a
non-MS box after applying a patch!?

Thanks
jenn