[ale] Please help: BellSouth ADSL hangs with sendmail andup2date

Raylynn Knight audilover at atlantabroadband.com
Mon Jul 29 23:56:06 EDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-07-29 at 18:23, Mike Panetta wrote:
> If I may ask, what is with the intense hatred for PPPoE on this list?  I
> currently use a Mindspring ADSL connection with PPPoE and its not that
> bad.  Its pretty fast, I seem to get the max theoretical speed possible
> (150K Bytes/s +), but I do have the ocasional outages (I blame this on
> mindspring, and the cheesy DSL bridge that I use though).

My understanding is that PPPoE can eat between 7-10% of your bandwidth
in unnecessary overhead.

> If they do not use PPPoE what do they use?  Is it a streight up bridge,
> or is it DHCP or what?

A bridge or a router depending on connection and/or provider.  DHCP is
not necessary if you have a static IP?  If your connection is supposed
to be permanent (that's what your paying for isn't it?  And that's what
BellSouth advertises as an advantage of ADSL) then why don't you have a
static IP address?

Ray