[ale] DSL/Firewall distro

exo exodous at m-net.arbornet.org
Fri Jul 26 16:59:40 EDT 2002

Hey,

How is it going.  Is there some good small distro which has full support
for pppoe (bellsouth dsl, ethernet modem).  i tried smoothwall and
clarkconnect, they don't work that good.  Clarkconnect does not connect to
the network properly.  So far in windows the driver RASPPPOE,
automatically connects if the line is dropped etc.  Does the linux pppoe
from roaring linux have the capability.  Is linux pppoe support as good or
better than windows.  I need to have nat, b/c I am using a win2000 to nat
right now, and it sucks, that i have to use a powerful machine to do this
stuff only.  It does the job fine, but i want a linux machine smaller and
cheaper to do this.  I know there is Freesco, but i dunno about its pppoe
packages, last time i tried, it was quirky, Too bad dsl isn't really dhcp,
dhcp works great with linux.  Let me know what is going.  Is smoothwall
good (i didn't see any proper pppoe connections or Clarkconnect.  Let me
know what is the best and fastest method in doing this.  Let me know

Thanks

-e