[ale] Bandwidth aggregation?

Trey Darley t.darley at aiscomputers.com
Fri Jul 26 15:00:31 EDT 2002

Hey, y'all. I've been lurking for a while, but finally I have a problem to
throw out there for discussion.
Here's the situation: I want to aggregate the bandwidth of two dsls. I
don't know if this could be done with some kind of round-robin routing
(for lack of knowing what else to call what I have in mind.) Another
alternative is to isolate specific types of traffic to one pipe or the
other - keeping interactive flowing smoothly is always nice. My client
presently has these two dsls for redundancy - smart - but one is just
sitting idle. Is there any better way of automating a failover than by
just writing crontabbing some scripts that check and take action
accordingly?
I guess the real question is how the return path would work... unless a
particular session had the same origin, it seems things would get fubared.
PPP Multilink Protocol?? The RFC looked vaguely promising.
Just for the record, I *did* google and deja this. Also re-read the
advanced routing howto (which is a bit incomplete). Any of y'all done
something similar to this?

Thanks!

--Trey

P.S. To everyone who bought hardware off of me prior to my Great Central
European Escape, thanks! You guys rock! What more can I say in praise of
ALE but that y'all paid my rent in Prague for a couple of months?! :-)

Trey Darley
System Administrator / Network Engineer
AIS Computers
165 Carnegie PLace
Fayetteville, GA 30214
Work: 770.461.2147, ext. 128
Mobile: 404.455.1516

[Please note that the opinions I express are not to be in any way
construed as those of AIS, unless that is expressly stated.]