[ale] File Backup (sort of)

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Mon Jul 22 19:27:20 EDT 2002

Due to a combination of sloth, poor housekeeping, and mid-level
boneheadedness, I should/need to completely trash and reinstall and
reconfigure my main linux box. Now I actually do have a semblence of
backups for this machine, but I would like to do something different if
possible: copy all reasonable files (not Netscape cache files and the
like) to CD-ROM as files. This will allow the children to recover their
personal files that they want to keep without driving me nuts, and allow
me (the slob) to recover the stuff I actually use with a reduced risk of
major brain fart. Since the total of all this stuff is something near
2.5gig, I do need to split it over multiple CD's.

I've hit freshmeat and the recently recommended backup web-site, but
nothing there suggested itself as being appropriate.

Does anybody know how to do such? Or have a clue?

Thanks in advance.

The harder I work, the luckier I get.
                    Lee Iacocca
Thompson Freeman          tfreeman at intel.digichem.net