[ale] DSL

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Jul 22 06:17:07 EDT 2002

tom hawks wrote:
> How hard would it be for my girlfriend to log into my machine to surf
> the net from a different location? I have a DSL connection which is up
> all the time.

All you need is a modem attached to your machine and ppp.  My
mother-in-law dials into my machine for connectivity this way.
Understand though it'll be slow, even if you both have 56k modems since,
they'll not talk but about 28k or so. As I understand it you need a
special type of modem on the server end to get that 56k speed.

Read up on pppd and let me know if you get stuck.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net