[ale] GNOME 2.0 problems

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Sun Jul 21 23:45:51 EDT 2002

My contribution to getting the list back on-topic:

I've installed the GNOME 2.0 RPMs from the latest Red Hat beta. When I login
from GDM, I'll see the GNOME/Red Hat splash, then I'll see a screen with
horizontal gradations from medium to dark blue, then I'll see what looks like
the initialization of my menu panels ... then Nautilus loads and totally
clobbers the panels. :( Further inspection from a terminal window reveals
that gnome-panel, which is responsible for generating the panels, is not
among the currently-running processes.

Any clue on what I need to do to fix this? I'm not sure if this is a
coordination problem with gnome-session or infighting between Nautils and
gnome-panel, but I suspect it's one of those two things. I also suspect
that all I need might be to fix a line or two in one of the GNOME or
Nautilus initialization files; I just don't which one of the many files to
start looking in.

I do know that after I have the Nautilus screen, I can launch a GNOME
terminal from Nautilus's right-click menu, and from there manually start up
gnome-panel. At that point, everything about the panels works just fine, and
Nautilus even adjusts the desktop icons so that they're not visually
clobbered by the panels.

I'd really appreciate some help with this issue so I won't have to keep
checking the Raw Hide directory for an update that I hope in vain will fix
the problem. Thanks in advance.