[ale] Re: [KISMET] Linux Distros with builtin WLAN_NG support?

Stuffed Crust pizza at shaftnet.org
Thu Jul 18 19:57:25 EDT 2002

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 05:33:45PM -0400, Matthew Carpenter wrote:
> Don't get too excited.  Ask him if Monitor mode is compiled into the
> driver.  Unless the drivers have the Monitor-mode patch or are
> 0.1.14pre2+, you won't be able to run Kismet or AirSnort.

Monitor mode went back in in 0.1.10, as Intersil didn't follow through
in their promise to remove the functionality from the firmware
(actually, some large customers complained loudly, so they changed their
mind)

This codebase still used a kludge with the NETLINK interface to get
packets.

In 0.1.14-pre1, a rather complete overhaul of the monitor code took
place, instead using a standard PF_PACKET interface to get the sniff
packets.

Anyway.  0.1.14 was released a couple of days ago, and there are
packages built for various debian kernels and various redhat kernels as
well, and possibly others.  SuSE does include it with their distro, but
it's a little out of date already.  :)

I'd still recommend rolling your own though.

 - Pizza [the maintainer of linux-wlan-ng  :)]
--
Solomon Peachy                                   pizza at f*cktheusers.org
I'm not broke, but I'm badly bent.                         ICQ #1318344

 PGP signature