[ale] OT: FCC approves sharing of customers' call data

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Thu Jul 18 11:37:39 EDT 2002

The way(s) to address this issue is organized and disorganized political
action. Start with writing your US Representative, and both Senators, and
consider the White House. Well, no. _Start_ with reading and understanding
the order and the legal/political environment around it: the FCC is
responding to a Federal Court Finding in favor of the marketing peoples if
I get it right. Then write your representatives. And follow up the whole
story (the political action part). Oh yes, and consider the letters to the
editor in the newspaper.

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, John Wells wrote:

> Alright, this is infuriating.  And the fact that *I* have to opt out to
> keep my information private.  So by signing up for phone service, I
> implicitly acknowledge that I want others to be able to see who I call?
> Wrong.
>
> Read the article(s) first, and then someone tell me who to contact
> (senator? representative?) who can influence the FCC:
>
> http://slashdot.org/articles/02/07/18/1245202.shtml?tid=158
>

> ---
> sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

The harder I work, the luckier I get.