[ale] USB microphone question

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Thu Jul 18 09:58:54 EDT 2002

Some time ago, I obtained a Telex M-560 microphone (usb interface) for use
with the family ibook. I got curious about trying it with Linux, and found
a pothole in my knowledge.

According to www.linux-usb.org, this device is supported by the audio
module, and should connect to /dev/dsp and /dev/dsp1. On my RH7.2 box,
everything appears to be cool until getting to /dev/dsp; I already have a
sound card with microphone, which has grabbed the two device files. I
assume that the audio usb module should be looking for something like
/dev/dsp2, but that doesn't exist, and I have yet to find the recipie for
creating those entries (major & minor numbers etc) Does anybody on this
list have a clue they would like to share?

Thanks in advance.

The harder I work, the luckier I get.
                    Lee Iacocca
Thompson Freeman          tfreeman at intel.digichem.net