[ale] More Questions on laptops

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Wed Jul 17 13:00:22 EDT 2002

Well, I have an older ibook, currently running OS X.  I have run both SuSe
and Yellow Dog on it in the past, dual booting with Mac OS 8.x which came
on it (if I recall correctly). The big drawback for me (and it isn't that
big a drawback since I haven't done squat about it) is the limitation of
my older display with respect to both resolution and color depth. I
_think_ Apple has addressed the issue with the newer ibooks.

I'd be curious how well the ibook line handles dual boots from a firewire
connected disk (I think it can be done).

On 17 Jul 2002, cfowler wrote:

> I'm debating on either a PC based laptop or ibook.  My reasoning for an
> ibook is that I want a laptop that supports UNIX out of the box.  No
> winmodem crap and no non-supported integrated video, ethernet, etc.
> With the ibook I can get OS X.  But maybe I can install Linux.  Maybe
> some people here can give me some pointer.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris
>

> ---
> sent to listmaster at ale dot org.