[ale] looking for a short (paid) training session

Ray McClellan raymcclellan at mindspring.com
Tue Jul 16 16:06:59 EDT 2002

Not sure if this is the proper arena, but I'm looking for some quick help on a first-time (and probably one-time) project.  I need a way to transfer files between an old VAX with VMS 5.4 to a PC.  VMS 5.4 was the last release prior to OpenVMS, where DEC implemented support for TCP/IP.  These systems are setup with DECnet though, and I learned last weekend that DECnet support has been added to the 2.4 Linux kernel. I optimistically ran out and bought a copy of Mandrake 8.2 and killed a lot of time over the weekend trying to get it running…

I've read the MAN pages, bought a few books and posted Linux-DECnet stuff I could find, and I'm confident that eventually I could get it.  I also realize that given my time constraints, on-site help would be the best answer. I'm willing to pay for someone's time if they could come to our office in Marietta (preferably some evening this week), and show me the error of my ways. Once the kernel is setup and the dnprogs installed, I'm confident I've got the VMS resources to get things talking.  From what I've read, the Linux part should be routine, but none of the help and examples look like they'll get me there soon enough.

If anyone is interested, please let me know.  I can be reached via e-mail, at the office number below or after hours at 404-307-1592. Thanks.

Ray McClellan

MRI Technical Services, Inc.

1730 Cumberland Point Dr.  #4

Marietta, GA  30067