[ale] kernel upgrade newbie

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Mon Jul 15 22:43:14 EDT 2002

One thing I just remembered about doing kernel compiles:  in many
distros (Red Hat and derivatives in particular), in /usr/src there will
be a symlink called simply "linux" that points to the active kernel
source tree, which will also be in that same directory.  If you move
another kernel tarball into /usr/src and tar -zxf it, it will write into
./linux.  I did this just the other day and in that case, it seemed to
have eliminated the symlink and untarred the new tree into its place.
Problem was, this eliminated the previous symlinkage and I had to derive
from lilo.conf what the "linux" symlink pointed to (there was more than
one tree present at the time).

I've read a recommendation to either temporarily remove the symlink or
do your untarring elsewhere, moving the resulting tree to /usr/src.

The trees under /usr/src have no active role in the boot process; the
completed kernels are typically moved to /boot and are referred to by
LILO or GRUB in that location.

Another thing that I have done is to pick a good -j parameter for make.
>From the man page:

 [-j] Specifies  the  number  of  jobs  (commands) to run
 simultaneously.  If there is more than one -j option, the
 last one is effective.  If the -j option is given without
 an argument, make will not limit the number of jobs that
 can run simultaneously.

The objective is to pick a -j param such that you fill up your machine's
available RAM without making it go into swap. On a 96MB machine running
Mandrake 8.2 with KDE active, I found that 4 was the most I could do and
stay in that regime (I tried 16 and the machine practically bled all
over the floor).  Machine in question was a dual P/133 and a -j of 4
made very good use of both CPUs while keeping the RAM consumption from
getting too high.

Heeding the man page, the use of -j with NO PARAMETER is a path to a
certain kind of hell.  If your machine is solid, it will survive, but
you can pretty much forget doing anything else with it until it's
finished.  I suppose that if you were making a Mosix cluster for
purposes of creating a compile farm, you'd go ahead and do this.

- Jeff