[ale] OT: Is speed reading a pile of ...

Cade Thacker linux at cade.org
Sun Jul 14 10:44:03 EDT 2002

I was at the library the other day with my wife and they had a audio
tape(4 tapes actually) speed reading course called the Evelyn Wood Seven
Day Speed Reading and Learning Program. I checked it out, and have listed
to the first two tapes, and it is more just a tape of good study habits so
far....

So my question is, the average person reads at 250 words per minute, has
anybody on this list improved their reading speed? They are making grand
promises of 1000 to 3000 words per minute with comprehension.  My wife's
comment is that if something sounds too good to be true, then it probably
is. If speed reading was so great and awsome, why wouldn't everybody be
speed reading, the teaching this in High School or College?  Sounds like
snake oil to me.....

I figured somebody on this list has tried this concept before.

Thanks...

--cade

On Linux vs Windows
Remember, amateurs built the Ark, Professionals built the Titanic!