[ale] fonts and gdm

Jim Philips jcphil at mindspring.com
Sat Jul 13 16:25:47 EDT 2002

I had the same problem with recent versions of Gnome. You can try different
fonts, but I never got past it. I'm using KDE now. Mozilla looks fine,
because it uses its own fonts. I don't think anti-aliasing is the issue, but
the font that the system is calling simply doesn't exist in that point size,
so X throws out a bit-mapped representation of the letter. All anti-aliasing
does is give you an apparent improvement in resolution. I say "apparent"
because the resolution doesn't change, but some extra pixels are thrown in
around the edges to give it a smoother look. But even without this effect,
most X fonts are quite readable. It's the bit-mapping that can't be read
easily.