[ale] a good Fri afternoon OT post...

Sid Lane tslane at attbi.com
Sat Jul 13 10:08:30 EDT 2002

1st let me congratulate you on your extremely well though out response!
that was exactly the kind of answer I was looking for.

re: "stupid HS ethics class"

that was an extremely poor choice of words on my part.  I am certainly NOT
saying it is stupid to behave ethically (fact that I had this thought over
spare velco tape should attest to that) but rather that my particular class
was more geared to secretaries who might take a long lunch or take home a
pen as opposed to, say, a DBA for a major website who decides whether
several $250K servers need to be replaced/upgraded (hypothetically speaking,
of course;).  we're in complete agreement on the state of this society and
where the LACK of ethics is heading us.

re:  #1 (most valuable)

for me that would be a laptop we found in a closet during an office move
(prev employeer).  my boss offered it (I didn't ask) and even then I felt a
little awkward but took it & ended up giving it to my father.  so far from
my current one I've just got some Cat5 & a 48 port patch panel from an IDC
move (we had to have wiring in place at new IDC before servers could move so
old was being tossed) & a 17" monitor (which also went to dad:).  oh, yeah,
and a mile of velcro tape for wire management! :-P

re:  #2

I don't know anyone who's gotten pinched for this.  I personally try to err
way on the side of caution as I can afford what I need & it wouldn't be
worth losing this job over a

re:  #3

I STILL don't know where the right balance is...  I think it's stupid (on a
# of levels) for perfectly good equipment to end up in landfills but I also
recognize the danger of me wielding that power (YEAH, that Sun E4500 is a
boat-anchor but as long as we're throwing it out...).

I didn't start this thread to judge anyone or breast-beat/say "holier than
thou" but rather to get people thinking about it & just see what other's
experience has been.

now that I'm finished this little disertation I have some Cat5 to punch down
in my house!  ;-)