[ale] Free X Server for Win2k

John Mills jmmills at telocity.com
Fri Jul 12 21:57:51 EDT 2002

Hi, Stephen -

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Stephen Turner wrote:

> whoa, that vnc thing sounds cool, anyone running it?

I provided it for our MsWin developers to have a graphic login on the
Linux boxes. It works as advertised, but its basic operating model is
really not as satisfactory as running the X-server locally.

You don't need it from one Linux/X11 box to another, as you can easily use
'ssh -X <remote host>', and now that Cygwin includes an XFree86 port, you
don't even need it for a Linux login from an MsWin box.

If you want a 'PC Anywhere' type login to a MsWin box from a Linux box or
from another MsWin box, VNC might be the way to go.

It is attractive and easy to start using - I don't want to denigrate the
folks who did the work and now share thie excellent software.

 - John Mills