[ale] OT - DSL

Charles Marcus CharlesM at Media-Brokers.com
Fri Jul 12 07:30:40 EDT 2002

Oh, if you only knew...

I *hate* Bellsouth.  I just am not a 'fanatic' about it.  The fact is, our
ADSL service from them for the past 2.5 years has been *excellent*.  Now,
ask me how much I love calling their tech support when we *do* have a
problem.  ;)

> 'Oh yeah, cancel anytime.'  What a bloody headache
> that is.  Cancel, lose your connectivity, get someone
> else to get you going again, who knows when.  You'll
> either be paying new connectivity or hardware costs.
> New IPs to deal with.  Oh yeah, it's so easy...
>
> Yeah, cancel, it's soooo easy.

Do you *like* putting words in other people's mouths?  :)

I never said it *was* 'easy' - I just said it was simple.

> All I'm saying is, you're a fool if you run critical
> business applications on dsl services.  Sure, if all
> you need is connectivity, go for it.

Well, since I have said *numerous times* that this is what I was talking
about, and have also *clearly* voiced agreement with this statement in the
past, who exactly are you arguing with??

> But I'd not warrant sticking a web server or vpn
> solution on such services.

For *casual* VPN access, it would be 'OK', but definitely not ideal.  For a
web server - total agreement, again, unless it is *not* business critical.

> I don't know that anyone guarantees SDSL speeds either.

I've seen quite a few - but its basically a 'we guarantee this speed, or you
pay nothing'.

Charles